Re: increased oil capacity filter - (Mike S.)

From: Todd Abernathy (t_abernathy7@juno.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 00:33:59 EST

Thanks for the answer and taking the time to give the explanation too,
good to know. That posting will be saved for later reference.
So, if I understand the journey of the oil, the pump draws it from the
pan and pushes it through the filter. From there the oil is moved
mechanically or by gravity, right ? And oil pressure only applies when
your talking about the oil in the pan till it is pushed out of the
filter, right ?

Okay, and you said, "Once the filter is filled with oil no change in
pressure or volume would occur." This assumes you have filled the oil to
the proper dip stick level after running the engine to allow the filter
to be filled and not just added the X number of quarts per the owners
manual. Okay, I got that. I'm presuming the oil pump intake is near the
bottom of the oil pan. Obviously, the pan can hold more oil than the
filter, so as long as there is enough oil in the system/pan to keep the
filter full everything will be okay, right ?

Okay, a few other questions then:
Too much oil in the system/pan would cause a problem when the oil needs
to bypass and can't properly recirculate back into the pan ? This would
create stress on seals ?
Is the oil pump electrical or mechanical ? Do they go bad ? If so, is
there a way to tell the pump is going out before real damage is done ?
Is it correct to figure a bigger filter is really of no advantage.
Thinking more about this it seems to me it could be a disadvantage, in
that on a real cold days when the truck is first started it will take the
engine less time to warm the smaller oil filter, making the oil flow
better, than it would a larger filter. So, the smaller filter gets "free
flowing" oil running through the system sooner ?

Thanks again.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.