Re: recent PING observations (was: still pinging)

From: POOLREBEL@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 22:22:33 EST

In a message dated 02/26/2000 12:11:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
michael.crotty@m.cc.utah.edu writes:

<< Nope. Mine pings cold, and some else emailed me saying theirs did too. My
 experiments/observations continue, here are some recent thoughts:

<< I have two distinct ping sounds, a loud one and a quiet one. I used to
 think I was crazy, but am more and more convinced this is the case. (the 2
 pings, not crazy(well...seperate topic)) I'll describe them seperately.

YeeHaa I'm not crazy either!!!! I have both pings also.

<< QUIET PING:
 This is the cold ping, and almost nothing affects it. I think it's
 quiet because only one or two cylinders are detonating. I'm sure Jay's
 cold plugs did not help this. I've seen it go away under 3 situations: 10
 degree farenheit air temp, quick increase in elevation, and after the
 truck is hot and running 91 octane it sometimes goes away.

Actually diffrent brands of gas and higher octane make mine worse. Also the
colder it is in the morning the worse it is.

<<Current theories are a lean condition caused by low fuel pressure, low
pressure in
 one injector at the end of the rail, a bad injector or two, bad injector
 wiring. It also may be arcing in the plug wires, however rerouting hasn't
 fixed mine. It could be I screwed up the reroute, or the factory wires are
 so crappy they need replacement.

Every one of the old plugs was running on the lean side. I'd say about half
way between white and tan with a little hint of yellow on the elctrodes.

<< LOUD PING:
 This only happens when the truck is hot, and is much louder than the other
 ping. I think it's louder because all 8 cylinders ping. Deposits
 excacerbate this, so running high octane in the city makes it worse. I'll
 bet your cold plugs helped this condition, as would a 180 thermostat.

I think you nailed this one on the head. Although the loud ping only happend
once in a while and also only under a WOT situation I haven't noticed it
sense the plugs were installed. Hopefully it is gone but I'll find out soon.

Jay Griggs