Re[2]: Fulltime Transfer Case Question

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 11:11:04 EST

<<Lo is for off roading and special towing tasks.>>

Low is for crawling along at a snails pace (I'm talking 5-10mph MAX) when
you need extremely high torque. The only towing you would do in low would
be to pull a heavy boat out of the water or something like that... That
might be what you had in mind but I wasn't sure.

<<What I have been told is part time is for dry roads or light snow. Full
time is more suited for heavy snow(anybody correct me if I am wrong)>>

As you said in a later post, the above is backwards but more importantly; I
think it might be confusing to think of full-time and part-time this way.

If you have full-time 4wd, you can simply leave it engaged and never worry
about it whether you are on dry streets or not. As the name implies, you
can leave it in 4wd "full-time" or all the time. Just about anything or
any depth of snow your likely to encounter on the street, full-time 4wd
will most likely be able to conquer. Off-road where you're likely to
encounter more challenging stuff, the 4wd Hi part-time setting is the more
effective setting than the full-time setting. Only use it off-road though.
If necessary I can explain why this is so, but I thought I would try the
short version first... :-)
Tom