Alternator Questions

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 12:18:52 EST

My Dak currently has a Nipondenso 75amp alternator, and sometime in the near
future I would like to swap out the 75amp unit for a 120amp unit to better
handle some of my Dak's electrical system needs. I believe the 120amp
alternator was an 'option' for my Dak, so I think it should be an easy swap
over, hopefully. First off, do new alternators come with a pulley already
installed, or will I have to swap the pulley from the 75 to the new one? If
the pulley swap is needed, how hard is it to get the old pulley off and back
onto the new one? When swapping in a higher amp alternator, is there
anything else I need to do, or is this just as easy as swapping in the
higher amp alt. and thats it? Will any higher amp alternator work, or will I
have to get a Nipondenso unit to the wire hookup is the same; I will
probably get an alt from an auto parts store and save alot of $$ rather than
getting a Nipondenso 120 from the dealer. Anyone know what price I may be
looking at? I am running a Champion 4Post 4x4 battery, with 1050 cranking
amps and 900 cold cranking amps. THANKS!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6