Re: New cam, and roller rockers....

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 21:18:05 EST

At 07:02 PM 2/29/2000 , you wrote:

>Ok everyone, with the new light on the roller rocker buy I have a
>question.... I am going to install a crane cam in my in 5.9 Magnum in two
>weeks, over my spring break, now the question remains, can I run my new
>cam with 1.7 rockers with no problems? Or should I wait and let the cam
>get broken in on the factory ones before I put the 1.7s on??
>
>Thanks!
>
>Clay

Clay the pistons Clay! Go to the local hobby shop and get a pound of
modeling clay. Take a head off. Put a wad of clay on a piston that's high
in the bore. Make the clay 3/8" thick, and make sure it will get under
both valves. Slap the head on (torque the bolts down), turn the engine over
by hand a couple times. Take the head off, get a razor knife, cut off the
material around the valve imprints (*important* don't disturb the clay
where the valve imprinted it) Get a caliper, measure the thickness of the
clay where the valves hit. I believe the optimum clearance between valves
and the piston is like .200". That's off the top of my head, my books are
still in San Antonio. I'm sure someone could look it up. After that, it's
just math. Add the current cam lift plus the current rocker lift. Add the
new cam lift with the 1.7:1 rocker lift. Subtract. If you still have
.200" (or whatever the safety limit really is) your in luck, if not, how
much different?

Mike

mschwall@flash.net