Re: Burnouts and tranny

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 23:24:19 EST

The big issue is with first gear.

As long as the truck shifts into 2nd gear on its own before you gain
traction it is not that bad.

The problem is freespinning held in first gear then hooking up suddenly.
The overrunning clutch and sprag get toasted. This happens all the time
when somebody drag races a street auto and uses the water box. They'll
hold it in the water with the gear selector in first. When they come out of
the water and hit dry pavement they ruin the tranny.

I put the tranny in first and powerbrake (gas and brakes on--Yes it does
wear out your rear brakes) it. Once the rears are spinning nicely I move
the selector into second. Once I feel the shift into 2nd (or see the rpm's
drop), I then let off the brake and power out of the burnout.

Done right you come out spinning in either 2nd or 3rd based on your
preference (I actually comeout in 3rd). You get a nice smokey stationary
burnout then a nice smokey Prostock style burnout. Once you're moving
forward and picking up speed while still spinning the tires, you easy off
the gas gently. The goal is to be smooth and not shock the drivetrain or
the tranny.

BTW-In my automatic drag cars, you would actually avoid first altogether.
Since the manual valave body allows you to select any gears, you start in
2nd and move to 3rd avoiding any potential damage in first. I also know
some 4 speed guys who will use 2nd instead of first in the waterbox. Keeps
from overrevving so easily and gets the wheelspeed up before having to
upshift in mid burnout.

Also if you really want to be impressive, installing a line loc to block
rear braking allows you the ultimate in powerbraking control. Note: that
is not the way the lineloc was intended to work, but many of the old timers
use it to block pressure instead of holding pressure. On mine, you let off
the brake, hit the button, and get back on the brake. Now you've got no
rear brakes only front. It allows you to powerbrake without rear brake
drag and wear, it also allows you to drive out of a burnout with good
control. It's a fun toy for under $100.

Steve Ekstrand, Pasadena, CA Driver: '00 Dakota CC SLT+ 4.7L 3.92SG 255's
Stacey's Driver: '00 Inferno Red Intrepid ES-3.2L-24V Autostick w/Leather
Race Car: 69 1/2 Road Runner 440-6 (ex-NHRA SS/GA future B or C/SA???)
Project Car: 69 Barracuda Notchback (Orig. 318, now 360w/Edelbrock Heads)
Homepage: http://sites.netscape.net/professormopar/homepage