RE: Nitrous vs. Supercharger vs. Turbo

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 20:05:17 EST

V6 - Nitrous or Supercharger (In that order)
V8 - Supercharger and/or Nitrous (Right Ted?) ;)

It really depends on what you want to do though and who you want to open up
a can of whoop-a$$ on.

As for the Turbo vs. Supercharger: Turbos are generally a little bit more
expensive due to the fabrication involved, custom exhaust manifold, and heat
related issues (yes, they run hot). A Supercharger (model depending of
course) will generally give you more torque off the line (less spool up time
required) and will fit with minor modifications (no mods to the exhaust
system required). Cost wise, again...a Turbo system will be slightly more
expensive. As for the Nitrous vs. the other two, there's no comparison.
Nitrous will always give you more bang for the buck: 100HP Shot = $800
(with all the trimmings) vs. $2500+ for a Supercharger or Turbo system with
almost the same type of gain.

$0.02

- Bernd