Re: Re: Waterbox Question

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 11:06:15 EST

I try to drive around it, but at most real races they won't even let you
(watch the racers run the NHRA national meets). Its not a problem for the
higher classes where you can cross the starting line on your burnout.
These cars continue the burnout far enough to shake the water out of the
fronts and burn it off with the rears.

A lot of the top Stock and Super Stock guys (who aren't allowed to cross
the starting line) will continue the burn out all the way to the line.
I've seen my dad slide the car, brakes locked up, into the pre-stage beams.
Yikes! It made us nervous when he did that. The funny thing was all the
times photographers would run out in front of him to take a photo of the
burnout in the waterbox and then have to dive for cover when he comes
flying forward! He wasn't going to stop for a photographer in the way!

After the burnout to the starting line, back up a few feet and do a dry hop
just to make sure no water dropped on the tires from the wheelwell and to
make sure you din't pick up any crap on the tires. Beware that under some
racing conditions if you trip the prestage or stage lights, they don't want
you backing up. But it is okay before then. Don't go back too far or
you'll freak them out.

Steve Ekstrand, Pasadena, CA Driver: '00 Dakota CC SLT+ 4.7L 3.92SG 255's
Stacey's Driver: '00 Inferno Red Intrepid ES-3.2L-24V Autostick w/Leather
Race Car: 69 1/2 Road Runner 440-6 (ex-NHRA SS/GA future B or C/SA???)
Project Car: 69 Barracuda Notchback (Orig. 318, now 360w/Edelbrock Heads)
Homepage: http://sites.netscape.net/professormopar/homepage