Nitrous De-bunking and other Myths

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 12:17:33 EST

Since I've been running Nitrous, here are a few observations I've made.
So far, the "urban legend" bugs haven't plagued me (knocking on wood).

#1 You don't have to run out of Nitrous if you have a 15 lb. bottle.
At approx. 1.5 1/4 mile runs per lb., a 15lb. bottle should be good for around
22 full passes. At least invest in a spare 10 lb. bottle if you're serious.

#2 Nitrous doesn't hurt anything when it's used within the manufacture
guidelines.
Lot's of Dakotas and Rams are running 150 shots with minimal hassel.
People who grenade motors usually pushed the system too far and explored
uncharted territory. Stuck solenoids are usually a maintainance problem, check
& clean them regularly.
Use the pill charts and moniter the spark plugs...everyones happy.

#3 My Nitrous is available anytime I need it, I leave the bottle valve open and
I have a "arming' switch as well as a "w.o.t." switch. It hasn't leaked a pound
while open and I feel I lost more Nitrous by turning the bottle off and back on
again.

#4 Nitrous isn't "illegal", at least in Texas.

These are just a few, I'm sure there's more to say on the subject.

Oh, and I'd like to add this too.....if you don't run N20, a S/C, or Turbos on
a Dakota(or at least a Magnum Dodge), do you really have something valueable to
add to the conversation?
1st hand knowledge is the only thing that counts in a discussion of these
topics, hearsay and myths just complicate matters.
And please....no flames necessary.

Alan S.