Metal Questions/Availability

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 00:13:11 EST

First off, and this might be obvious to some, but does aluminum rust?
Secondly, does anyone know off hand where I might be able to locate some
stainless steel or diamond plate(the tread style design) sheets? I am
looking for some material about 1/8" thick and somewhere in the area of
about 27"x36". My local steel shop claims they cannot get it for my small
application need.
If anyone is curious, the lower air dam on my Dak hasnt been on my Dak in
years, since it hangs tooo low for my likes. So I have some very usbale
holes in the bottom lip of my bumper, where the air dam used to attach.
There is this cheaply thin piece of metal which is connected to a frame
crossmember by 3-4 self tapping screws and them is held on to each of the
front frame horns. This piece I assume is to protect the lower part of the
radiator. It gets in the way alot and really isnt too off-road worthy.
GenerationII 4WD Dak owners will certainly know what piece I am talking
about. I want to fab up my own 'radiator protector' or whatever you want to
call it. I would connect it to the frame crossmember(where the current one
is mounted to) but instead of running it to each front frame horn, I would
bolt it up using the holes in the bottom lip of the bumper, kind-of like a
pre-runner style. I am curious first off how much the stainless steel or
diamond tread sheet would cost, approximately. I can get sheets of aluminum
at a local hardware store, it would run about $15 for the sheet size I need.
I would plan on re-inforcing the backside of the 'radiator protector' just
slightly with a piece of 1/8" by 2" wide steel stock running along the two
sides. Thanks for any info.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6