Re: Metal Questions/Availability

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 00:58:46 EST

> At 11:13 PM 3/10/2000 , you wrote:
> >First off, and this might be obvious to some, but does aluminum rust?
>
> It oxididizes and a turns white. You could call it rusting, when steel
> oxidizes, iron oxide forms which is rust.. When aluminum oxidizes,
> aluminum oxide forms, which is a damn good abrasive that is a good
additive
> for sand blasting media, btw.
>

> >Secondly, does anyone know off hand where I might be able to locate some
> >stainless steel or diamond plate(the tread style design) sheets? I am
> >looking for some material about 1/8" thick and somewhere in the area of
> >about 27"x36". My local steel shop claims they cannot get it for my small
> >application need.
> >Kyle
>

> Check your yellow pages under steel or metal fabricators, metal recycling,
> and metal salvage. Most won't sell it in the small quantity that you need
> though. Doesn't hurt to ask though.
>
> Mike

Thanks Mike, I found this place online, and sent them an email concerning
prices.
http://www.ledfordsteel.com/index.phtml
They even say there is no minimum order and any size order will be accepted.
So I take it a stainless steel sheet will hold up and look the best over
time? Thanks again,
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6