Re: 2000 4.7 CC 4X4 highway Observations - Long

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 17:52:49 EST

   Hey Preach, thanks for the update. The truck doesn't have the full-time
transfer case so I was in 2wd the whole way. The mileage doesn't shock me too
much. I'm sure alot of my bad mileage up was due to my driving habits. heh
heh. I realy was haulin' butt most of the way. And that drive makes any
vehicle work hard. I gotta admit I was hoping to maybe hit 20 mpg on the way
back. But again, as I was getting close to home I ran at a steady 80-85
following traffic for the last 30 miles or so. I think if I'd have kept it
between 70 and 75 for that stretch I probably would have broken the 20mpg
barrier. The thing that puzzles me the most is the slowing rolling down those
big hills. I had an '85 Dodge 3/4 ton 4X4 I bought brand new that would gain
speed with the clutch in on hills when it only had 2000 miles on it. It had a
big assed solid front axle and all, no lockout hubs. Hell that truck with the
318 and the manual trans was about to float valves at 80. It was geared very
low. (Thats the fastest I ever got that truck with my foot buried on the
floor and it was maxed out.) And it's mileage on the highway was about 16mpg
going 65 or so) Oh well. I'll see how it shakes out after getting broken in a
little better.
  Last point... go get the quad cab now before she changes her mind!!!!