Re: AVALANCHE APOLOGY -LONG

From: durling@attglobal.net
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 21:15:25 EST

I personally didn't take any offense to the original post. Heck, I wasn't even really following that thread. But to make an observation dont' put down dodge so quick. First the current truck styling that is coming from ford, chevy, and even some of the foriegn makes is because dodge set the new standard with the full-size ram and then again with the gen III daks. The gen II dak was even a new thing that nobody thought would even catch on and it seems most of the compacts are trying to make the trucks bigger to compete. And, from what I understood dodge already had plans to sell the QC here when nissan
decided to ship thiers here too. Japanese automakers have been selling four-door version of thier trucks with shortend beds on them for a long time in japan, australia, and other areas around that region of the world. The frontier was already desgined to ship there so they just decided to add america to the list when dodge announced the QC. Remember the Powerwagon concept of supposed to be a clue to the next ram and might even become a production vehicle itslef (with some changes). I would also bet that if chevy tries to build that SSR truck that you might see dodge try to bring the sidewinder of
something designed from it to the market. Believe me i'm don't want to seem like i'm flaming or patronizing you just don't loose faith in the DC truck effort when I think there really is alot going on. It seems that they don'y get as much attention as the ford and chevy since they are more popular. You have to remember that the truck effort at dodge only really started coming back alive around the time the dak was introduced then 8 years later with the introduction of the new ram, a truck that hadn't changed hardly at all in around twenty years or more. For as recent as dodge has gotten back in the trruck
market they sure have made everyone play catch-up. Again no flame intended. Sorry for such a long post but had to give credit where it's due.

Jeff Durling
'96 RC Sport-318

p.s. I would have to imagine that the time leading up to and the merger into DC would have caused some things to slow down too.