Re: Re: Synthetic Oil Stories

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 19:00:35 EST

>Millions of machines have gotten by on regular oil for well over 100 years.
>There is absolutely no need for synthetic. That's my opinion anywayz
>
>-Austin
>Vipertruck

Very true. Regular oil works fine, it changed religiously, and run
normally. Normally as in less than 4000 RPMs, ambient temperature never
exceeds 90 degrees F, never goes below 32 degrees F, and never gets pushed
to it's limits. Regular oil will live a happy life. Push the boundaries
and you'll get coking, carbon buildup, oil consumption from oil vaporizing,
and all kinds of other nasties that regular oil transforms into when cooked
long enough.

Then there's synthetic, higher flash point, less vaporization, higher
detergent content, less carbon deposits, no coking, and high and low
temperature stability. Keep on mind, there are several "types" of
synthetic oil, not all synthetics are the same. Some are better than
others, and not talking about brands.

My father used regular Pennzoil 10w-40 in an old '85 Ferd, sorry for the
Ferd content. Last I heard he was pushing around 240,000 miles on the
original motor (300 cid, inline 6), with no engine problems except for the
regular water pump, starter, battery, cap/wires, and plugs. He has
replaced the oil pump, that was all. Still has power and going strong.

When he changed the pump, he took off the #3 main bearing cap. Showed a
little copper, but was still in good shape, very little scoring from dirt
(couple scratches). On the other end, when he changed his valve cover
gasket, the top end was coated with carbon buildup. Everything was
black. Not a buildup, put a thin coating on everything. He's changed the
oil and filter every 3-4,000 miles since new. He's in Texas - hot summers
- seen plenty of 100+ heat.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net