Re: exhaust question

From: Chuck and Loreen (clrobbins@home.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 23:52:32 EST

    I live in Rhode Island and they are just starting the sniffer test here.
>From what I have been told and read, headers with dual exahust is
not grounds for automatic failure. My headers have a C.A.R.B. number
and my Dak can not be failed *just* because of the headers. Mine isn't
due to be tested for another year, so I don't have any first hand experience
to pass on.
    Something I have heard lately has to do with the cat(s). The way I
understand it is that the new cat(s) can't be larger than the OEM cat. I'm
not sure if I am totally correct in this so take it with a grain of salt.
    If you're worried about back pressure, reduce the size of the pipes to
2". There will still be some slight loss, but minimal. Also, install an
"H" pipe. That way you won't have to worry about the second o2 sensor
and it will also help with the backpressure.

Chuck Robbins
'99 Sport v6 5spd 2wd RC
http://www.members.home.com/clrobbins/dakota.htm

> I have a 95 Dak with the 3.9 and I live in NC.I was wondering if it is
legal
> to run a true dual exhaust? What i mean is to run each set of headers down
> its own with no y pipe at all cat then to a muffler out to the rear ?
would