Re: New to List/Dakota rec.

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 12:10:50 EST

   I don't know what the story is with Consumer Reports, but they only like
Toyota products. I'm sick of reading their vehicle reviews. Before I bought my
2000 Dak in early December, I did extensive research and test driving of 3
different small trucks. And that included looking into the Consumer Reports
stuff. It was quite interesting. I was also considering the Toyota Tecoma 4x4
and when I looked at the CR writeup, they actually said that the ride was 'not
up to par' but predicted reliability was 'better than average'. Then I went
to the back of the magazine where reliability data as reported by their
readers. The Dak numbers weren't all that great for a few years leading up to
99. The Toyota numbers were pretty good leading up. Well for 99 the Dak
numbers were BETTER than the Toy numbers. Dodge was clearly improving while
the Toy numbers were falling. They never even drew from their own data for the
article in the same damn publication! So I drove 'em both again, Dak and
Tacoma, and bought the Dak. I drove 5 Daks and 5 Tacomas.There was something
wrong with all but one of the Toyotas. (imballanced tires, pulls to the left,
etc..) The only thing wrong with any of the Daks was one of them stalled right
after startup but re-stated right away and did the 15 minute test drive
flawlessly. The Dak is the best riding small or midrange 4x4 on the road. No
comparison as far as I'm concerned. And I still get Ford, Chevy and Toyota
bigots that are amazed when they take a ride in my Dak. (cuz they were too
narrow minded to even test drive or consider one when they bought their
trucks)
Sorry for the rant.... I'm ok now.... I'm alright.....