RE: Re[2]: CC vs. QC - Tom

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 10:45:36 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu [mailto:fawcett@uism.bu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 6:53 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: Re[2]: DML: CC vs. QC

Call me old fashioned in thinking bigger is better. ;-)

[stlaurents] That is not always the case in some of the newer vehicles on
the road. You may have a 4 cylinder out run a 6 cylinder and 6cylinder out
run a 8 cylinder. Tom, there are so many variables to watch for when
planning to buy a vehicle. Weight of the vehicle, HP rating, loss HP at the
rear, TQ rating, rear gear ratio or front gear ratio, transmission gear
ratio, auto or manual, seating, tire size, rim size, sway bar and so forth.

I would start with writing down your objectives and then try to match them
with the current models on the road. Talk to different people on the
street, test drive the vehicles, and see if any of those match your
objectives. I would guess the hard part of purchasing the perfect vehicle
is 'patient'. The fever of buying something now seems to be the way for
many Americans.

 I really need to test
drive one of these 4.7L and learn a little more about 'em...

[stlaurents] Only reason I choose the 4.7 over the 5.9 that in the
foreseeable future, the pushrods motors will not exist. But the OEM
aftermarket products will always be there. They seemed to have higher TQ
rating per liter than the current semi-hemi motors SOHC. That is plus with
the push rods. There are several articles on the 4.7L PowerTech V8 motor
you can glean from current DML members. I liked Nate's site ("Chrysler's
New Cammer") link on the 4.7L motor, with the exception of the download
portion (he he).
You are doing the right thing of researching the product before purchase
Tom.

 If I opted for it
I don't think fuel efficiency would the significant reason as it doesn't
seem
extraordinarily better than the other V8's from what I've read.

[stlaurents] I average around 12-15MPH, depending on the foot setting on
the accelerator pedal. This is with a 3.55:1 rear gear and Variable Auto
Transmission doing an average of 75-80 MPH.

My biggest
reason for wanting the 5.9L is 'cause, as you know, I'm a torque freak... I
like my torque curve high, long and flat! :-)

[stlaurents] If this is your objective then opt for the manual
transmission, the biggest rear gears, and 5.9L motor. I would look for the
R/T version, since it is already ready for street racing. Seeing that you
are a TQ freak (ha ha), do not go for the 4.7. Even with the weight of the
both vehicles, the TQ factor is still greater than the 4.7. Then I would
opt for the RC versus the CC. With some of the mentioned vehicle weights,
(talk to Matt, he has a RC or Sam) you will shave an additional 300 pounds.
I would not go for the 2000 model but the 1999 version. After reading three
tests from three different magazines, it seemed that the R/T was to close to
the 4.7 models. Tom, it maybe the motor computer was detuned. I would talk
to both 99 & 00 R/T RC owners to see whether this is true or not.
Your friend in the DML Group
Steve