LSD diff conversion, need advice on fluids!! Fluid pump trick!!

From: Barret, Matt (MATT_BARRET@earthtech.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 13:17:37 EST

Austin, I'd stick to the Mopar Hypoid friction Modifier!! It's cheap enough,
like 3 or 4 bucks!!
Should need about 2 quarts of Lube, but since you have to pull the diff.
cover off, you may need a little more than that, so buy 3 quarts and return
one if needed. I used the Mobil 1 synthetic lube I think its 85w 90??? Not
sure though, It was the only weight Autozone had in stock!!

One little trick I did was buy a fluid pump for a 3/8" drill and some rubber
hose from Home Depot. Connected the hoses to each end of the pump, chucked
it in a drill, put the intake hose down in the filler plug, and the
discharge end into a empty milk jug. Started the drill (after priming it)
and in about a minute all the fluid was out of the rear and I didn't have to
break the factory seal on the diff. cover!! worked great, better yet it was
an absolutely clean job, no mess, and I was able to measure how much fluid I
removed so I could add the right amount back in!!!
Make changing the gear lube real easy, pump and hose ran about 10 bucks, and
you can reuse it!!

Matt -- Mechanicsville, VA Y2K-HEMI
`00 Sport Plus 4.7L 5spd. 9 1/4 3.92 LSD
RC 2x4 Homemade intake & K&N open element,
Traction Bars, Spring clamps
BEST 1/4 14.80 @ 90.97 MPH
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ