Re:RE: Re: RE: Re: Open to LSD diff conversion, need ad

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 15:37:49 EST

<<I'm not convinced that 'Hypoid' specifically indicates that it has a
friction modifier in it. I was under the impression that it just indicated
that it would withstand the pressures of hypoid gear sets (much like the
GL-4 or GL-5 rating).>>

Yeah, that's my understanding of it as well.

<<HOWEVER, after looking at the data sheet for Mobil1 Synthetic gear lube, you
are correct, no additional friction modifier is needed. It states: "It is
manufactured from synthesized hydrocarbon base oils and a specially designed
extreme-pressure, limited-slip, sulfur-phosphorus additive package." Also
that it reduces chatter, etc etc.>>

I read the same kind of thing in the AMSOIL brochure and maybe on the Mobil web
site as well... So what's up with DC saying thou shall use friction modifier
regardless? Maybe CYA??
Tom