Re: R/T MPG

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 18:26:45 EST

Aaron wrote:

> I knew that would turn some heads. Basically the four major factors that
> control how the computer tunes the fuel curve are the map sensor, iat
> sensor, coolant temp sensor, and then the input from all of them is compared
> to the biggest factor, the dreaded o2 sensor. With the help of a dodge tech
> I know, I've wired up a small panel of 3 potentiometers (i think i killed
> the spelling on that) with switches on them. Each one is in loop with one of
> the first three sensors (map, iat, coolant). the computer reads the
> resistance off of each and that tells it the reading for that device. When
> the switch for each is off, the signal runs to the sensor bypasses the
> potentiometers, and goes to it's next point just like normal. when I want to
> adjust my fuel mixture ( I only really do this to richen up the mixture
> right before racing, but like I said, it can be used to lean it out also) I
> simply flip the switch for each potentiometer on, then the signal goes from
> the each one of the sensors to it's designated potentiometer where I can
> adjust the resistance, which allows me to tell the computer the sensors are
> reading whatever I want them to read. Normally this wouldn't do much because
> everything comes down to the o2 sensor. this is where the coolant temp
> adjuster comes in. It's actually kind of a neat trick. By turning down the
> coolant temp far enough, it's tells the computer that the truck is still
> warming up and it goes into open loop mode. The cool part is, in open loop
> the o2 sensor is bypassed till the truck warms up! Now you can adjust the

Uh - yeah that idea does sound familiar. Nice twist with the adjustability.
And it even gets around my not wanting to run at too cool a temperature.

Thanks! Let us know what all you find out. Oh - and be sure to have that a/f
meter mounted close by. A wide-band version would be best - so you could tune
for the 12.5 or so maximum power/torque ratio.

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"