Re: Rubber or Cork Valve cover gasket?

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 00:18:23 EST

>Should I go with the rubber one? Does the rubber distort after use? Also,
>with roller rockers. am I going to have to "fine tune" them? or should
>torqueing them down correctly in the beginning cover it with the hydraulic
>lifters?
>-Dester

Cork is a one time deal, seals pretty good, but cork dries out and shrinks,
becomes hard, looses seal and eventually leaks. Must re-tightened often to
prevent leaks.

Rubber can be used more than once, does not shrink, doesn't harden as fast
as cork, lasts a lot longer. One problem with rubber is it slides real
easy on oily/greasy surfaces, gasket tends to want to pouch out as it is
clamped down.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net