T-Stat DONE!... One final question

From: SuperNagz@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 19:51:30 EST

Ok guys... I did the t-stat swap today... piece of cake... only a few drops
of coolant ever hit my driveway! :)

The 'hardest' part was just the tedious but neccessary task of cleaning off
all the old gasket material. I also removed the hose from both ends, and
getting it back on the radiator was kinda a PITA... but all ended well... no
leaks... so no complaints.

First off... I noticed kinda a lot of brown junk on the t-stat, in the
radiator, and inside the radiator hose. Not to gross anybody out, but it
kinda looked like baby poop!!! Has anybody else seen this in their cooling
system? I guess I'm just kinda worried about contaminated coolant...
especially when the truck is less than a year old and only 8,000 miles on it.
 Maybe I'll do a real good flush later this year...

Anyways.. here is my quesiton:
How am I 100% sure my entire cooling system is full? At first I just ran the
truck in the driveway with the rad cap off... and kept adding to the radiator
as the air bubbles escaped... then.. I kept driving around... coming back..
and topping off. It finally looks like the radiator is full to the top...
however... what about that overflow bottle?? What do I do there?
I guess all I'm asking is how to know if my entire system is full? And is it
possible to have too much or too little water in the overflow bottle?

Anyways... I drove around a LOT!! And I tell you what... I can definately
notice a difference on the gauge... I swear the I just can't get that damn
needle to move past the halfway mark between the 130 and 210 ticks... which
is about 170 if the scale is linerar...
I'm impressed.