cam change questions

From: Doug Myers (dougmyers@radix.net)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 08:44:09 EST

Hey guys,

    I'm looking into possibly installing the MP cam in my truck. The only
thing that concerns me is getting the timing cover to seal where it meets
the oil pan.... what is the best thing to do? Can I just silicone it and be
ok, or should I replace the oil pan gaskets, too? Can you replace the oil
pan gaskets with the engine in the truck?
    I'm going to install the valve springs and retainers to go with the cam,
so I'm gonna pull the heads.... what is the compressed thickness of the
stock head gasket, and is a "pre-mag" head gasket the same?
    Is it worth upgrading to roller rockers as well? What about pushrods?
The reason I'm asking is that the Magnum crate engines use the stock rockers
and pushrods and make more power and rev higher than my truck... leads me to
think that they might be OK for my application.

Doug Myers
'99 Dakota 318/5-speed/3.92SG
F&B Stage 1
Mopar Headers