RE: Re: Re: Twin Turbo Group Buy?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 00:07:27 EST

Well...for $1500 (or even $2000) i'd consider it...but i'd be worried about
the heat that they will generate and the quality of the turbos. (Not to
forget the more frequent oil changes which adds up quickly if you're using
synthetic.)

I can't see how they/he/she will keep the price down that low with just the
two turbos, and the plumbing for them. Hell, a RayJay or Garrett costs
anywhere between $600 - $800 for just the turbine and housing. Add a second
and then the custom built plumbing, computer reprogramming, and all the rest
of the trimmings and you're well over $3500. (Wonder what brand of turbo's
they're using.)

The Jeep 4.0L kit runs over $2900, puts out 5-7psi, makes only 50-90 more HP
(boost depending), makes max power at 3500rpm...and that is a single turbo
with everything required to install it. (Hmmm...5-7psi, wonder what a 9psi
PowerDyne will do for $2400.)

Don't get me wrong, i'm still open to the idea, but something just doesn't
feel right about it for $2000.

$0.02

- Bernd