Re: Awful Gas Mileage with 4.7L

From: Michael Hines (michael_hines@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 09:17:54 EST

Hey Tom,

I shared your pain after I got my 2k Durango expecting the 4.7 to at least
achieve EPA MPG estimates...not 2-3 MPG LESS than the city estimate!

All is not lost, however. Mileage on the Family Truckster has gone from a
dismal 11.5-12.5 mpg during the first few thousand miles or so to a more
reasonable 15 or so mostly city/urban-cycle miles. I just crossed over the
3k barrier, and am doing the second oil change this weekend. I'm using
Castrol Syntec synthetic blend until I get to 6k when I may switch over to
full synthetic, which should make another slight increase in mileage, my
guess is no more than maybe - MAYBE - 10%, or about 1.0-1.5 mpg.

I had three 4wd Ram pickups, a 1995 SB RC 5.2, a 1996 SB CC 5.2, and a 1998
SB QC 5.9. ALL of them needed 3-4k miles to get fully broken in and start
getting decent mileage, and apparently this 4.7L is no different. Hang in
there! If nothing else, bear in mind that you could have gotten a V6, which
gets only marginally better milege with reduced performance and
capability...and given up that gutsy, rowdy, ethereal 4.7L hot-rod V8 sound!

<ducking wrenches thrown by the V6 guys>

Mike Hines
'00 Durango SLT+
'99 Camaro SS M6