Re: VNT Turbos: Was Twin Turbo...

From: Mag318Racr@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 13:27:51 EST

I didn't mean anything degrading there Shaun. VNT cars were on my list when
I ended up buying my R/T. Maybe not limited in a top speed run but could you
say run 20#'s of boost that many 2.2 TII's run? That is where they are
'limited'. If you can put a Grainger valve on it and make it work then I am
wrong but I thought they wouldnt work on the TIV or atleast give you any more
boost than they were set at.

In a message dated 3/31/00 1:03:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com writes:

> I'm a bit curious how you can call the Turbo IV (the VariableNozzleTurbo
> Intercooled) 'limited' on the top end. At full boost it engaged the bleed
> off
> valve that was set to 15 psi. You see, I owned a 1990 VNT Intercooled
> Shadow
> ES. That car could kick the pituzzi's outta my Dakota. I regularly raced
> Porsche's and 5.0 Mustangs, trouncing them soundly. I could smoke rubber
in
> 3rd gear with a rev and a clutch drop. So where the 'top end' limit is
that
> you refer to, I'd like to know: I never found it. I had the car over 130
> mph
> and it still had room to go, but the aerodynamics of the Shadow didn't let
> it
> get any faster as the car started to get squirrley. The VNT Intercooled
> Shadows were the most powerful versions of those cars ever made. That in-
> line
> four produced 210 ft lbs of torque at 3K rpms with the VNT Intercooled
turbo
> on it. The later Spirit R/T (at 200+hp) didn't get that high, and had
mondo
> turbo lag (drove one, hated it). Not bad for an SHOC engine that produced
> 174
> hp stock. That turbo kicked major tushy and had no wastegate!
>
> Chrysler sold the Turbo IV design to Honda for use on their race cars. You
> can now buy an aftermarket turbo similar to the VNT from Garrett. They
call
> it their "Variable Geometry" turbo.

Kelly in SC
'96 CC 5.2
'92 Daytona IROC R/T Finally!
'86 Daytona Turbo Z CS "Free 2 Good Home"