Re: MAP SENSOR..........

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 13:24:51 EDT

Bluethunder318@aol.com wrote:

> Where is the MAP sensor located? Is there anyplace on the
> DML homepage that I could look to get a visual? THANKS.

It is the sensor on the very front of the throttle body. It is the only sensor
that mounts on the radiator side of the throttle body (front). The connector
attaches from the drivers side. There is a small vacuum hose (barely visible
on the bottom) that forms an elbow attaching the sensor to the throttle body.
On each side of this little elbow are the torx screws (T-25) that hold it on to
the throttle body. They are in there pretty tight because the factory coated
them with loctite. The connector has 3 terminals. The terminal closest to the
throttle body is a ground. The middle terminal is the MAP signal and should
fluctuate with throttle movement while running. The outside terminal should be
around 5V all the time - I'm pretty sure it functions like a Vcc for the sensor
or a bias voltage. This voltage is provided by the PCM. What I did to allow
reading the voltages present while running was to pull the connector and insert
2 very thin stainless wires into the female (harness) side of the connector
(gnd and signal) so that I could plug it back in and still have something to
attach my voltmeter to. I used the alligator clips that came with my voltmeter
attaching the little stainless wires to the sense probes of my voltmeter. I
then positioned the voltmeter on the cowl panel so I could read the display
from inside the cab while cranking and working the throttle. The bad MAP
stayed at 3.0V constant. The good MAP fluctuated wildly (ranging from 1-5V or
so very rapidly) according to the throttle position. The voltage swing of the
good MAP sensor was so rapid that I had to set the range hold on my voltmeter
so it would stop autoranging.

Not sure about where any pics are - you shouldn't have any problem finding it -
its the only sensor with a large flat face and a tiny elbow vacuum hose on the
bottom between two torx screws.

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"