Re: My Pinging Problem is Solved!

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 17:24:25 EDT

Jon Steiger wrote:

> At 03:05 PM 4/2/00 -0400, you wrote:
> <snip> I am a bit curious though, Shane, how you tested the sensor with it
> still on the truck? Did you tap into the wires themselves, or was there
> enough play in the connection to get some test leads in there? Or did you
> just provide it with positive voltage externally?

I pulled off the connector and using some very small gauge stainless wire (got
it from a craft store - not sure of the use) - I inserted 2 short lengths of
wire into the gnd and signal pin holes (female/harness side) to give me
something to attach voltmeter probes to. I then slid the connector back on to
the sensor so I could read what the computer was seeing while the truck was
running. I had to try several different size wires until I got one small
enough. I'm not as familiar with wire gauge sizes but if this helps - it was at
least as thin as 4lb test fishing line (or 8-10lb spider wire) - very thin! And
the connector would not fully seat into the sensor with the wires but it would
fit on enough to run the truck and not trip a check engine light. I did trip a
check engine light once while trying larger wires and after cranking the truck -
I shut it off shortly thereafter and was amazed to see the connector had come
off completely but the truck was still running?? Must have been in "limp home"
mode. I was going to reset the light by disconnecting the battery but didn't
have to as a couple more key on/off cycles cleared the check engine light??
Weird.

The external testing idea sound interesting tho - I am wondering if I can find a
cheaper sensor - maybe from another vehicle entirely - that will match the specs
for ours. A range of 0-5V should be the typical values for a 1 Bar Map sensor
and since it just uses that little 1/4 vacuum hose to connect it to the TB - the
only other issue would be the harness connector and PepBoys had all kinds of
weatherpak adapters and custom plugs. I would like to have a known good
suitable MAP to keep in the glove box to help diagnosing potential problems (in
my vehicles as well as others). Hell - everyone should have one 8-)) And $58
is kinda steep to keep extras around. Will let everyone know what I find out
there. Heck - some of you that work in a parts house should be able to give us
a much cheaper application and we engineers will work out the details of making
it work physically 8-)

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"