Re: Help, truck wont start

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 10:02:57 EDT

> Ok this is the deal. i started my truck up this mornin to warm up, it
started
> fine. come out 10 min later and its dead. Go to try to start it, and
nothin.
> i checked for spark from the coil and from some plugs and its fine. do u
> think it could be the fuel pump, to go all at once. any help appreciated
>
> Joe
> 92 5.2 3.55sg

Joe,
Assuming your engine is cranking, try this: Turn the key over like you are
going to start it and listen for the fuel pump hum or whine. You can either
take the gas cap off or get under the gas tank to listen. Also, you can
check fuel pressure at the pressure regulator 'bleed vavle'. It looks like a
bike tire air valve, just take the cap off and use a knife or some thing to
depress the vavle. If you hold it in, gas should come out if the pump is
good, otherwise some(barely any) gas will just trickle out......and the pump
may have died on you. My truck did this when I was stranded out in the
woods, I layed under the gas tank and beat on it, like some people do with
GM starters, after 10 minutes the truck fired up. I have replaced 4 fuel
pumps now on my Dak, so if you need help with it, just ask......save the
money and do it yourself, it is very easy to do. The entire fuel pump
modulle with sending unit ran me $125, for the Carter unit.