How I know Castrol Super Clean eats paint...

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 20:16:33 EDT

Well.... someone wanted to hear how I know that Castrol Super Clean eats
enamel so here it goes. ( I did not ruin a Dak!!) Kinda long, sorry.
I'm into antique gasoline engines. Hit-N-Miss engines, Stover's, Jeagers,
real old Briggs and Strattons, Reo's etc. Whenever you find one of these at an
old farm auction if it's been hiding in a barn it's probably caked big time
with 60 year old grease and oil. So the first thing you want to do is get 'em
cleaned up. I found an original Reo 3 hp engine from a lawn mower of early
'50s vintage. Had a nice thick coating of grease and oil and with the original
decals and not too dinged up. So I clean it once with Gunk Engine Cleaner.
Takes alot of the stuff off but I ran out before it got real clean. I had
just bought this Castrol Super Clean and thought I'd give it a whirl. So I
squirt the stuff all over the thing and go grab a beer. After 5 minutes I
spray it again and start to scrub at it with a toothbrush. Well....generally
an antique is worth more with it's original finish than a resto job even when
the original finish may look like poop, and this one HAD one of the better
original finishes about 10 minutes before....So now I have green ooze coming
off and I'm down to nice shiney steel in several spots. Oh well.... it was
very nicely prepped for the re-paint I guess!!! And I had an engine that
before might have brought $160-$180 in running condition that when I got done
restoring it now looked brand new and was worth maybe $50. (I only paid $2 for
it though) Live and learn....