Re: RE: Re: Now tight is too tight?

From: Frank T Holloway (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 19:56:42 EDT

Rich,
Most hydraulic lifters like to be compressed approx. .040 inch (Dodges included). If you are running a 5/16 - 18 stud, then each revolution of the nut is good at compressing the lifter .055 inch. With the valve covers off. Identify the valves that are closed. Rotate the pushrods by hand and tighten the rocker nut. Once resistance is felt at the pushrod, then tighten the nut down about 3/4 turn and tighten the jam nut. Click the starter and continue the process until all lifters are set. The only time you would want less installed (compressed height) is when the engine is going to see RPM's much higher than these engines can stand.....
                                Frank

Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com on 04/12/2000 09:48:00 AM