Re: Exhaust systems

From: Cale (vencomatic@ameritech.net)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 02:19:47 EDT

In fluid dynamics terms, there's more to it than just cross sectional
area, but in a general sense you can rely on it for guesstimating
comparative gas flow capacities.

1" pipe = 0.7854 sq. in.
1.5" = 1.7671
2.0" = 3.1416
2.75" = 5.9396
3.00" = 7.0686

difference in areas between the 2.75 and 3.0 pipes is 1.129 sq.in., or
look at it as 19% better flow. Again, this is a really rough
calculation. You will note that dual 1.5" pipes only flow 50% of what a
single 3" will. That is why you will find a 3" cat back Flowmaster on
my truck instead of the more complex, heavier dual systems that seem to
be so popular.
Cheers,
Cale
98cc318sporty