Re: Re: Guages....vac and trans temp

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 22:33:28 EDT

Kyle Kozubal wrote:

> Was this piece you had to install in the tranny cooler line like a 'T'? How
> did it get fastened to the tranny cooler line? Like did the cooler line(s)
> just slip on over the fitting and then small hose clamps to secure the
> fitting to the line(s)? Are you talking about the rubber portion of the
> tranny cooler line or the actual metal pipe? Now, did you have to splice
> this 'T' into the tranny cooler line because this 'T' is the sending unit? I
> assume it really doesnt matter where you splice the tranny line at, just as
> long at it is BEFORE the tranny cooler, haha. I has been tinkering about the
> idea on installing one, I especially like B&M's Trans Temp Guage Kit
> Transmission temperature gauge kit: 100 to 350 degree, comes with a light
> kit, a color coded dial face, an anti-glare ABS enclosure, a temperature
> sender, and all wires and terminals. Summit has this kit for $45. I was just
> curious what all is involved in installing one of these tranny temp guages.
> Would you mind just giving me a brief description of the installion?

That is the exact same thing that mopar performance sells for our trannys. And
it is only $41 before discounts.
I bought one and was actually disappointed. Even though it was nice and
electric blue powder coated - it
is still just a simple block of aluminum with a "T" drilled into it - two 3/8
holes drilled directly across from each
other and a 1/2 at 90 degrees from the others. Only other thing that comes
w/the kit is 2 of those simple line
fittings w/the ferrul that grips the line when tightened down. Can be made for
much less than half those prices.

On the other hand - MP's blue anodized (or powder coated??) one looks pretty
cool. The docs say it can be
mounted anywhere in the lines - just cut the line and install. Pretty simple
huh?

Latr,

Shane

ps - I heard some mechanics say that there is a check valve in one of the tranny
lines coming out of the rad.
They said it fails often and causes the tranny to fail prematurely. Said to
remove it completely for safety.
Can anyone confirm this?

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"