One last exhaust flow question

From: hoegen (hoegen@kersur.net)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 08:43:12 EDT

Ok,
    I don't want to beat a dead exhaust, but I have a question regarding
exhaust flow. A friend of mine has a Jeep which he has placed a performance
muffler (I think it's a Dynomax) on. He does NOT have any exhaust pipe(s)
after the muffler though, and I gotta say it sounds good. Even though he has
a V6, you'd swear it was an 8.

    My question, or rather my plan, was to get a flowmaster muffler designed
for my 99 V6 Dakota. Single in/Dual out. For the OUTLET, instead of the
standard 2.5" I was gonna go with 3" at least. I understand that normally a
3" exhaust would seriously deprive a V6 of low end perfromance, but does a
larger pipe size matter AFTER the muffler? I figure that all the restriction
needed was being done by the muffler, CAT, and the 2.5" pipe going back to
the exhaust manifold. I also assumed that if I simply had no pipe after the
muffler, my performance would remain the same.

    Your help is appreciated as I think the less restriction after the
mufler, the deeper the sound, which is always a plus for us V6ers.

Thanks