Re: Re: Exhaust Systems

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 16:14:21 EDT

> >Dynomax (Walker) Super Turbo Mufflers have curved half pipes in each end
> >to direct the flow instead of the stampede bashing into the wall headon
> >and getting reorganised in the mayhem.
>
> So obviously a chambered or baffled muffler(like a Flowmaster) would flow
> 'less' or not 'as good' compared to an muffler with internal tubes(like a
> Super Turbo). Is this just due to the exhaust flow which has to hit and
> redirect itself within a chambered muffler? Within a muffler with internal
> tubes the exhaust flow just has to follow the internal tubes and this is
> alot less turbulent, thus allowing for the gases to get out of the muffler
> alot faster, right? So all in all, when it comes down to it, and
> 'non-chambered/baffled' muffler will flow better than a chambered/baffled
> muffler. Sounds good to me.

Also,
The internals of the Super Flow mufflers direct the gases into an 'S' shape
through the muffler, shown here:
http://www.a-1performance.com/super_turbo/index.htm. So this would still
flow better than a chambered muffler even though the gases still have to get
re-routed through the muffler, just the gases get some help getting
redirected, due to the "EXCLUSIVE PATENTED FLOW DIRECTORS; Helps to channel
exhaust flow and eliminate turbulence for flows as good as straight pipes."
For the ultimate flow in a muffler then, would just be a straight pipe going
right through the center of the muffer, right? Like the Ultra-Flo muffler,
shown here: http://www.a-1performance.com/ultra_flo/index.htm
I am sure these type of mufflers would flow the best, but would also be the
loudest, right?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6