New TB..well sort of new....[long]

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 17:01:40 EDT

Finished porting and polishing my modified TB. Bought it online from AAA
Auto Salvage in Ohio. Just a stock TB from a 95 v6 5spd. When I got it, it
was a mess. Totally oxidated. First things first. Took off all the sensors
and mounts. Removed the butterflys and shaft. Maked out the areas I dont
want to bore/cut. Using the Dremel and a HD cutting disk I took down the
front and rear posts to an 1/8", then I took down to flush the rear section
of the bore. The front and sides where a bit more complex. I wanted to keep
the side air hat posts, and the center post for the S bolt. So I cut an 1/8"
from the base on the side posts all the way to the center post edge, not
cutting through but left an area about 1/4" around the post. With a high
speed carbide cutter I took down everything to the right angles as well as
smoothing out the bore down to the butterfly marks. Did the same to the
underside of the b-fly marks. Mainly took down the high spots thoughout the
bore. For the center I rounded the area between the bores. With a silicon
oxide stone I sculptured the bores to form a smooth transition down to the
butterflies, also cleaning up any gouges or scratches on the bore. NOTE:
Tony you are absolutely right on with the older TB's having air bubbles in
the casting. Took course 650 grit sandpaper wheels and smoothed out the
bores, changing to a 1200 grit later on. Then came the emery embedded
polishing wheel to totally smooth out the bores, then changed to a wire
brush and brought the bores to a high shine. THe butterflies I rounded the
edges, smoothed out and polished, and the shaft I grounded it down with a
stone, and the same smooth and polish. The butterfly screws I grounded them
smooth and flush to the shaft. Put it all back together, and dropped it in
the truck using the sensors from the current TB.

First impressions... Started up quicker that it used to(the IAS whistle when
the engine kicks over really turns heads now!). Idles nicely at 500-550
RPMS(used to idle at 400). Has smooth transistion from idle to 1700-2100
RPMS then it comes alive and pulls even more up to 4k, then she starts to
ping at around 44-4600. During shifts she seems to hold the RPMs a little
longer, which is good when shifting up. DOn't have to dump the clutch to
spin the tire, can easily do it from a very slow roll in first and punch the
gas. RPM's definitely climb much faster, and the front end comes up(hmmmm I
wonder if the Jet StageII will force me to get a pair wheelie bars...)!

Conclusion: Definitely a keeper. More grunt off the line. Lots of topend.
Smoothed out the idle, idles closer to normal speed, and pulls like anything
when you stomp the pedal.

Comments from the buttdyno: OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

BIF: I didn't reset the computer...

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ