Re: Re: Freakin' Valvoline!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 00:12:41 EDT

> Ok, let's play a little game called "how bad did they rip Andy off?"
> Here's the bill for today's little visit:
> Oil change w/ 5 quarts synthetic, oil filter and chassis lube - $44.99
> Plug & Gasket CHECKED
> Tire Pressure CHECKED Front 35 lbs Rear 35 lbs - they did not check my
> pressure, I watched
> Brake Fluid CHECKED (didn't pay attention)
> Power Steering CHECKED (ditto)
> Wind. Wash Fluid ADDED TO - done, I watched
> Battery SEALED (tried to sell me a new one for $80, the "eye" is getting
> dark)
> Valvoline Air Filter CHECKED - not truly. I have a QuickD. We'll let
> this slide
> Wind. wipers CHECKED - if you consider watching me pull in checking the
> wipers, they were checked
> Cooling System CHECKED - they didn't test it, maybe looked at the level
> Transmission CHECKED (Recommend transmission fluid exchange) - well, if
> they could figure out HOW, I'd have it done
> Rear Diff Fluid Change SERVICED - $24.99
> Front Diff Fluid Change SERVICED - $24.99
> Transfer Case Fluid Chg - SERVICED - $24.99
> Serpentine Belt Replace CHECKED - I didn't see them take a close look at
> the belt
> Subtotal $119.96.
> Coupon $7.00
> Tax $7.91
> Total $120.87

Well I pay 84cents for a gallon of windshield washer fluid. I dont think my
Dak has used 5 ounces of power steering fluid in 121,000 miles. My oil
changes cost about $7(Castrol 10W30 and a Fram Ph16 oil filter). Synthetic
to me are NOT worth it, since I change my oil every 3,000 miles. Read this
to prove the normal oil works:
http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/ARCHIVES/0001/0601.html
and a full report at:
http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/ARCHIVES/0001/0783.html

Lately, I have mixed in one quart of Amsoil Seriess 2000 10W30(add about
$8.50) with three quarts of Castrol, just for kicks. I bought a tube of
Amsoil Synthetic Grease and a Grease gun(lifetime guarantee!) for a total of
around $30. My truck rarely needs brake fluid, except when I had to add new
rear brake lines! For $80, you can buy two of my batteries: Champion 4x4
1000 Cranking Amps(at temps down to 10) and 900 Cold Cranking Amps(at temps
from 10 down to -25), it also has 4 posts which I great for hooking up
accessories. I highly recommend this battery. If you need a
battery.......buy one yourself and put it in yourself.......then
again.......ok I will be nice. I do pull the diff covers in both the front
and rear diffs and added Amsoil 75W90 and used a tube of RTV sealant; total
cost $40. By pulling the diff covers(something the oil lube shops DO NOT
do!!) you get 100% of the diff fluid out and this also allows you to fully
inspect the internals. Plus by pulling the diff covers you can fully clean
the diff collector/magnet at the bottom of the carrier and clean out all the
shavings which have accumulated over time. Otherwise, all that crap just
keeps floating around in there. Transfer Case fluid change takes like a
quart of Amsoil ATF for a total cost of like $8-$9; This is so frigin easy
to do. For the front and rear diffs and tcase, did you have them put
sythetics in for those prices???? I could do all the above work for right
around $65 or so. Start buying some tools man and save some cash. I didnt
write this to make you feel bad about having your Dak worked on, cause that
is good preventative maintenance, just wanted you to realize that you can
save alot of money doing it yourself.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6