Re: Betch-ya I can stump you guys!!!!!!!

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 10:47:03 EDT

There is NO missing dollar as the problem is stated.
There is no logical reason why the riddle arithmetic should work out to $30.
The riddle arithmetic, by focusing on what each guy's net payment was, loses
track of the original incorrect total of $30, so the fact that the total comes
to $1 less than than $30 is just a tease. If you are going to ignore the $3
returned to the guys (which is really a hidden reference to the original $30
total) then you must also ignore the 'missing' $1 (which is really just the
returned $3 divided by three algebraicly ) which is also a reference to the
original $30 total. Here is the key: The original $30 is all three payments
combined and the missing dollar is the returned amount divided by three. Its
just algebraic head games. If you are going to net things out, then the $30
total 'becomes' a $29 total.

The important things to realize are :

The diners parted with $30.

The store has +$25 in the register.
The delivery kid has +$2 bucks in his pocket.
And the diners got +$3 bucks back.

And that adds up to original $30 total.

What they ended up paying for the pizza is irrelevant to the original $30
total, at least using arithmetic.

Obligatory Dak content:
My '00 4.7L electric fan ONLY comes on when the AC is on. I've let the engine
get up to 210F with AC off and it still doesn't come on. I thought these
things were supposed to come on at stop signs etc to relieve the engine driven
fan? Anyone else with a similar situation? I'm calling the dealer today; will
let know what I find.
Thanks,
Marty
'00 4.7L CC