RE: Re: Viper 6-speed to a 318BERND

From: brian.duffey@intelsat.int
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 12:29:14 EDT

MPG - it all depends on what you want your truck for...

If you're not modding it for performance (ie: drag/street racing), or
off-roading, then you should be able to set it up to get 250-300 on the
highway w/out too much trouble.
1) Very low rolling resistance tires. Yes this means no low-profile/wide
drag type tires and no big/heavy block tread off roaders. -- this is
probably one of the best mileage improvers you can do (along with
maintaining the proper pressure).
2) More free flowing exhaust - It seems like most on the list who have done
exhaust mods have gained 2-4 mpg on the highway thru this. But you also have
to keep you foot out of it around town.
3) Keep the everything tuned/maintained properly (oil,plugs/wires,tranny
fluid,etc.)

All of the above are a lot cheaper (and easier) then installing a 6-speed
tranny.

If I'm doing all highway driving, my '95/CC/4X4/318 will get 300+ per tank
(22 gal.) easy. Arlington to Va. Beach (200+ miles) if traffic is relatively
clear on 1/2 tank, and thats running 75-85mph down I-95. This is also with
30x9.5 All Terrain tires too.

Duff
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil
MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK - F&B Stage I TBI