RE: Re:why a six-speed

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 08:34:18 EDT

I don't disagree that an extra gear wouldn't hurt, but you're talking about
a 'Vette and a Luxo-Cruiser vs. a Truck. The aerodynamics on those vehicles
are much better than our trucks. Not to forget that our trucks weren't
designed for high speeds anyway.

When I had moved from CA to TX (1730 miles), my Dak had shown an average of
22mpg at an average of 80-85mph (factory 3.55:1 gears). The differential
gears play a big part on fuel efficiency just as a 6th gear would. Now,
with 4.10 gears, she gets an average of 17.5. (Haven't done the TX to CA
trip yet to see how much it changed over an extended highway drive yet.)

$0.02

- Bernd