Re: MAP Sensor "Issue"

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 12:28:42 EDT

"Bernd D. Ratsch" wrote:

> I haven't found any way to change the curve...yet...without having the
> computer custom programmed. ($400+ for a simple timing curve change isn't
> feasible.)

I'm leaning towards not actually changing the curve. In a way - I like it - its
just hard to live with. Instead I'm thinking of ways to work with it - like a
MAP-based alcohol/water injection system that comes on in stages - before/low,
during/medium, and after/high the onset of pinging. I want to get all these things
TOTALLY under control before I ever think about any power adders. On that note -
you are right about the retard module - just I hate being retarded 8-))

> And NOPE....no knock sensor that I can find or have heard of on these
> engines. The fuel economy theory is nice, but with the pinging problem,
> people will have a tenancy to keep their foot in it a little bit more to
> quiet it down. Also, when the engine pings that bad, fuel economy goes down.

You missed my point. I merely was stating that maybe higher fuel economy was a
goal as far as the factory's much advanced timing curve. It wasn't a theory
relating to pinging. And putting the foot down will only increase pinging while
under load unless there is a gear change from my findings.

> One interesting thing I found was that in 5th, the engine didn't
> ping....only in first through fourth. There's something there which i'm
> missing.

Interesting - I have only had experiences w/the auto tranny. On the other hand -
it seems to be related to rpms (probably due to the ignition maps table lookup).

If we keep hammering on this annoyance - we will eventually beat it. Too bad the
mechanics at the dealerships aren't as persistent. Pretty sad aint it? Proves
that money can't buy you everything. A strong will is pretty hard to beat tho.

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"