RE: Re: MSD Location?...Kyle

From: Brown, Mike (CAD) (MBrown@ciena.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 14:32:57 EDT

Kyle,

        Do you have any pics?

-Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyle Kozubal [mailto:grndak4x4@home.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 2:11 PM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: Re: MSD Location?

> Okay...another mounting question...
> Where under the hood is the best place for mount and MSD unit? I've seen
some near the battery on > the inside fender wall, some on the wheel fender,
and some on the firewall. Where is the best place? > I have the MSD 6A
system with the universal wiring kit and MSD plug wires.
>Thanks in advance...

Mike,
I have mine mounted on the passenger's side wheel fender, between the
firewall and the computer; just because I really don't have any room on the
driver's side wheel fender, as it has the windshield washer resevior mounted
there, the battery and all the relays I mounted for all of my Hella lights.
I had to of course lengthen the power red and negative black wires, since
the stock ones wouldn't reach all the way to the battery. If you ahve to
lengthen these wires, use one or two guage larger wires, I went with 10
guage. Yes, MSD also does recommend sending both the power(duh, of course!)
and the black negative wire directly to the battery. My battery has 4
terminals/posts, so I just soldered on some nice heavy duty ring
lugs/terminals and I bought some solid brass threaded posts(from
Crutchfield) which screw down into my battery and have threaded rod sticking
up. I put the ring terminals over these post and screwed them down, it looks
awesome and very professional. MSD recommends to try to run the power wires
down the firewall, as they claim the firewall creates an electrical shield.
MSD also says to help to prevent electrical noise or interference, do not
mount the MSD Ignition close to the radio antenna. So I bought MSD's Noise
Capacitor(8830; $40) and MSDs rubber capacitor cap for it. I cut the power
wire and the negative wire and put ring terminals on the wires coming out
from the ignition box and ring terminals on the wires going to the battery,
so 4 ring terminals in all. I mounted the noise capacitor on the firewall
and so far cannot hear any noise produced by the ignition, so maybe the
capacitor is doing its job. Hope this helped.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6