Re: MAP Sensor "Issue"

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 14:51:34 EDT

Alan Short wrote:

> Anyone remember Jules and the "kill the MAP win $1,000.00" thread?
> I wonder if his patented $2,000.00 t/b's have some kind of altered/high
> performance MAP?
> Alan S.

Very interesting. I was digging thru the archives and came across the
following:

http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/ARCHIVES/9707/0448.html

It made me grin from ear to ear. You know why? Thats me that Jarrod was
quoting - he just failed to mention the source (thanx). That was pretty
scary back then (3 years?). Jules was the only modded TB vendor out there
at the time. Guess someone has to be the trailblazer 8-). Too bad I
couldn't even get a single reply - no telling where I/we would be now 8-(.
Apparently club formations were on everyone's minds.

Seriously tho - there may be some merit to bringing this back up (not the
vendor bashing - just the technical stuff). Here are some excerpts:

"what we need to do is to kill the MAP circuit.... like the pros do....
(they do and call it stock in racing) let's kill the MAP... OK EE's get to
work... I'll pay $1,000.00 for a 100% working solution/parts that will
kill the map and allow BIG cam duration changes..."
- obviously a HUGE lack of understanding of the entire system

"try to figure out some way that the signal from the map can be made to
artificially make the sbec happy while disconnnected..."
- now thats intelligent....NOT!

"engine condition (needs)... low vac (map) tells sbec we are accelerating,
only acclerating lowers vac (all else normal) and since tps voltage going
up... and oxides changing in exhaust stream o2 talks to sbec and it all
goes into binary numbers and then is spit back out in binary number combos
that make "phrases of communication"... and the inj pulse width modulation
vaires... in this case... richens up.... for the drop in vac and a/f ratio
to carry the accel, low vac, high load, etc...."
- ok so he is starting to learn something

"Jules, please tell me what you expect to happen with the MAP out of the
picture. Also, is this for W.O.T. , part throttle, or both? I
decided to try something similar on the way home from work the other day.
After looking at the resistance tables for the Engine Coolant
Temperature Sensor and the Manifold Air Temperature Sensor, I thought I'd
try disconnecting the sensors and plugging in a resistor of the
appropriate value (500k = 14 deg F) to "simulate" a cold engine, thus
forcing the PCM into open loop. However, I didn't have any resistors with
me, so I just pulled the connectors and drove home without them. This will
result in lighting up the MIL and killing the coolant temp gauge for sure
(I'm hoping the resistors will provide enough feedback to prevent the MIL).
I stopped on my regular "launch pad" for testing - my RC R/T usually spins
for 10-15 feet and I have to pre-load the convertor to 1500 to get this.
Well, today it f#$%ing fried the tires, banged 2nd in a flash, spun
wildly (getting a little sideways), I was so freaked I let off for a sec,
then nailed it again, lighting it up in 2nd again. YES, I think there's
some power to be had here. I will try G-Tech'ing it next time I'm on
nights, but you dyno guys may want to try this on your next dyno session.
I'm thinking of some type of switch to swap between the stock sensors and a
pre-determined resistance. It does take 3 drive cycles to clear the MIL
after lightning it up."
- I remember reading this...the IAT thing has been beaten to death hasn't
it?

Nope - nothing too interesting there. Oh well - it was fun reminiscing.
Ran across the Tman incident (hilarious) and also the magic shaft stuff
(boring).

Ho-hum,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"