Re: Powertrax on 2wd???

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 19:24:52 EDT

At 04:52 AM 4/18/2000 , you wrote:
>Of you guys that have the powertrax on your 4x4 do you think a 2wd will get
>help from this...last night with it raining here i got stuck on a dirt rd
>just becuase there was a slight incline...i was trying to turn around but
>then couldnt back out onto the main rd.This is the 3rd time ive been stuck in
>a place where i had no reason for being stuck...hopeing that with 2 wheels
>pulling I will not get stuck agian...and no i dont go 4wheelin in a 2wd.
>Chris A.

A locker or LSD in the rear of a 2wd truck is the same as an open diff
4x4. Only two wheels get power on a 4x4 with open differentials (no LSD or
locker). I have an old truck that's not Dodge and not Chevy, and it has a
locker in the rear, two inch body lift and 31x10.5 tires. It can go just
about anywhere a 4x4 can go. I've been in the sand on Padre island on the
Texas coast (in the 4x4 area (big shell) passing 4x4 wannabees and actual
4x4 vehicles. And I've been in south Texas sand/mud. Pretty cool too,
drove through a pretty large mud hole. Chugging along at about ten mph,
truck stopped moving, tires dug in and got traction, crawled right out of
it. Truck weighs 4000lbs, 3.89:1 rear with 3.21:1 first gear, ain't no
stoppin' :) Actually got stuck once though, but managed to get out under
own power. Was out in a fresh plowed field hauling a trailer with about 30
young pecan trees wrapped in burlap. Too much gas in first and dug in to
the frame. Un-hooked the trailer and rocked back and forth and crawled
out. But anyway, sorry for the ramblin', I miss my truck. It got left
behind when I moved out of state. Will be getting it early May.

A locker in a 2wd truck with good tires is just as good as an open diff 4x4.

Mike Schwall

mschwall@flash.net