Re: OBD II Scanner needed

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 12:49:26 EDT

At 10:35 AM 4/19/00 EDT, you wrote:
>I looked at the Archives and am trying to decide which scanner is
available for us.
>Bob (Ontario) did you settle on one, I saw you tried the Actron III with
no luck,
>anybody else ?? Thanks , Ted O.

I bought an OTC Enhanced Monitor scan tool with Pathfinder '98 diagonostic
software.
I did not reply to your orginal post because this scanner is expensive
($2300 CDN
list price; $1300-1600 U.S. list price, I believe).

Most mechanics use this scanner because of it's versatility. With the unit
and
software that I have now, I can obtain computer outputs and do diagnostic
tests
for most GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles from '79 to '98. Since I have 3
Dodge vehicles
from '85 to '97, it's a worthwhile investment for me (BTW, I paid about
half the CDN
list price and no taxes ... I also can now get any products that OTC offers
at jobber's
price). One example, it will test the distributor for injector timing
specs. For
this test the vehicle must be idling at 1000 rpm ... the scanner will
automatically
bring the idle to 1000 rpm, output the current results and/or results as you
turn the distributor, and then bring idle back to normal specs. It will also
perform the road tests done by dealers in the driveway by simulating the
conditions called for by the test. The kit also includes full description,
hard copy TSBs for those years from all 3 manufacturers.

The kit (bigger than an attache case) includes all connectors used on the
'79 to '98 vehicles of the NA car manufacturers.
For about $300 more, you can get the model which will download from designated
web sites an upgrade program (free) for the computer if the car company has
put out
a TSB calling for a program recalibration.

OTC is a company which makes industrial standard tools (probably a main
competitor
with Snap-On). http://www.otctools.com

Because the OTC scanner worked right off, I've concluded that my problem
with the
Actron III scanner was a faulty, extra-priced, OBD-II cable's connector
that I needed
for the Dak.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.