Re: radar detectors

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 14:21:55 EDT

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, christine lauret wrote:

> does anyone know how safe radar detectors are? Don't cops have radar
> detector detectors?

   Yep, some do, but only in the states where it is illegal to use them.
(Virginia is one, I want to say DC doesn't allow them either, but I'm not
sure.) Anyway, in the states where they aren't illegal, its perfectly
fine to have a detector.

   Save yourself a lot of hassle though and just start out with the
best. :-) The Valentine One can be had in laser and non-laser versions
(the non laser is a bit cheaper). They're expensive, but no other detector
even comes close (look at any Car & Driver radar detector test, or have
Valentine One send you out an info pack, they have a reprint in there) also
the V1 can't be detected by VG2 (radar detector detectors) unless you
literally get within a few feet. They are available only from the
manufacturer; they have a web site at www.valentineone.com. I know this
probably sounds like an advertisement or some gushing teenager with puppy
love, but I'm not affiliated with the company in any way except as a
very satisfied customer. My one and only experience with their support
staff was superb. (Back when I first got it, it was acting a bit
differently than I thought it should, so I posted a message on one of the
Usenet newsgroups asking if it was normal or not. One of the techs at
Valentine One saw it, brought it to Mike Valentine's attention, and Mike
had him contact me to tell me to send it back. They sent me out a
replacement immediately.

  Another nice thing about the V1 is that when they come out with new
features or more sensitive versions, you don't have to buy a new one,
you can send back yours and for less money than it would cost to buy a
new one, they will upgrade it.

  The last time I checked, the laser version was somewhere around $400
and the non-laser about $320. Its worth EVERY penny. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'