Swampers !!!

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 15:00:56 EDT

<insert big cheesy happy-as-a-pig-in-you-know-what grin here>

Well, I'm happy to report that 31x9.50 R15 Super Swamper TSL Radials do
definitely fit on my '95 Dak mounted on stock wheels. Many thanks to
Jon Steiger for the use of his barn and lift, and to he and his friend
Ed McCarrick for all the assistance yesterday with getting the skid
plates installed and tires tested out. (More on skid plates later.)

The tires are more narrow than I had expected. They're skinnier than
the 235/75 R15 daily driver tires (no, I'm not silly enough to drive to
work every day on Swampers). Might have something to do with the 6" rim
width. They stamped "rim size 15x7.5" on the side of the tire. They
look to me like they fit perfectly on the 6" rims, though.

Personally, I think they look awesome. I know many of you out there
prefer 4x4 tires to be wider. There are functional arguments both
ways. Wider tires float more and have more biting tread edges to look
for traction. Skinnier tires have a better chance of sinking down to
the solid stuff under the muck and getting traction that way. And there
are definitely different opinions on the look. Me, I love the tires on
my grandpa's 1948 Willy's (think the Jeeps on M*A*S*H), so I couldn't be
happier with a narrower 31" size. Plus, being narrower helps them tuck
under my truck :-).

I haven't had a chance to check them out at full suspension compression
yet. A couple of us sat on one of the front corners, and it looks like
there's still lots of clearance at the lowest point we were able to hit.

Anyway, I'll be posting some pictures once we get some that show off the
new tires.

Jason