Re: Re: Swampers !!!

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 23:13:09 EDT

Kyle Kozubal wrote:

> Just to let you know Jason, my stock rims are indeed 15"x6". I do think, but
> could be wrong, that this was the only size available.

I think you're right. Before '97, anyway.

> I have seen tires upto 12.50" wide on 15x7 rims, so you will be ok here
> for the rim width.

Wow, I didn't realize there was that much margin in the manufacturer's
recommendations. I actually e-mailed Pirelli once and asked them,
theoretically, what would happen if I were to put 30x9.50 tires (which
are spec'ed for a 6.5-8.5" rim) on my 6" rims. Rather then tell me why
it wasn't a good idea, they just said don't do it, that I should buy new
wheels.

> The
> 31's should fit just fine under full suspension compression. I have looked
> and measured on my Dak and the suspension would definately lock at full
> compression due to the bumpstops on both the front/rear axle before the tire
> would touch any sheetmetal on your body.

Cool, thanks. That should put my mind at ease.

> From going from
> the LT235 tire, which is about 28-29.5(depending on what tire you have and
> who it is made by) to a 31" Interco TSL Radial tire, which is 30.7" tall,
> you are raising your truck anywhere from .6 of an inch all the way to 1.35",
> once again depending on what size your stock LT235s were.

We measured under the rear pumpkin, and I think the Swampers gained
about an inch and a quarter. That was more than I had expected, but
I'll take it :-).

> Just remember, due to the soft rubber compound of these tires(which
> do make them have awesome traction), check the tire pressure weekly and
> rotate the tires frequently also, every 4-6,000 miles.

Heh, it'll probably take me several years to put 4000 miles on these
tires. I'm going to be keeping the Pirelli Scorpions on there for daily
use, and just put the Swampers on before going wheeling. I got a set of
rims used from a '93 Dak just for that purpose, so I can leave them
mounted and change them in the parking lot before hitting the trail.
It's a bit of a pain, but worth it, IMHO.

I did do a bit of a road test with them (5 minutes or so). They make an
interesting noise :-). They do ride smoother than I had expected. They
didn't seem to want to be steered very much, rather preferring to find
any rut they could and sit in it. And the speedo was noticeably low. I
was indicating 40, but I'm sure I was doing at least 45. The
performance wasn't noticeably less, but I didn't do any hard launches,
just normal driving.

Thanks for the info.
Jason