PLEASE HELP...Muffler inlet/outlet size?

From: Charles Wyman (cewyma@Roushind.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 12:47:41 EDT

Does anyone know off hand, what my stock muffler inlet & outlet diameter size is ('00 Durango 5.9L, 4x4, 3.92 LSD)? I'd like to pick one up today or tomorrow, but really need this info.

Also, somewhat on the same subject, why do people go with a cat-back system? I'm not sure if the Dak's are the same as the Durango's but my stock exhaust is all mandrel bent pipe (stainless I believe), which should give me the same performance as the mandrel bent cat-back systems...right? Unless the cat-back systems use less bends...but from the pics I've seen they look similar to stock. The only other thing that I can think of that would increase performance would be to change the exhaust pipes diameter size...but that is still questionable. I don't understand why you need to spend $250-$350 for a cat-back system + $$ for someone to install it (unless you install it yourself), when you could just spend about $60-$100 for a performance muffler (i.e. Flowmaster, Dynomax, etc...)+ about $20 for an install in the stock location. Can anyone please explain this to me? I'm not trying to piss anyone off that bought a cat-back. I'm just curious as to any additional performance !
gains going that route.

Thanks,

Chuck
'00 Flame Red Durango SLT+