Dak Drama finally over (long)

From: wf wheels (loosewheels@excite.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 13:47:31 EDT

Last week I had a few problems with the dak that came to a grand total of
approximately $490. First I took it into the dealer to have diagnostic ran
on it because it ran rough and was sucking down gas. The dealer told me that
I needed to replace my spark plugs, wires, O2 sensor, EGR valve, cap and
rotor, and have my TBI unit cleaned. Well I replaced all of that and sprayed
down the TBI unit with throttle body cleaner. After that I fired her up and
it was backfiring and at low rpm's it felt like it wanted to stall out on
me. My best friend suggested that it might be the throttle position
sensor(TPS), so I replaced that and still no luck. So, I posted a message
asking if anybody had any suggestions and one responce was replace the
Catalytic Convertor. Well, took her in to have raplaced hoping that a new
Cat. would help and instead of helping it just made the problem more
noticable. At this point I have lost almost every bit of patience and I
decide to take the dak in for another diagnostic and come to find out my
Thermostatic Air Cleaner Valve thingy (the valve that allows heated air from
the exhaust manifold to enter into the TBI unit)was staying open causing my
to get a code excesive enrichment. Well with that taken care of it it solved
some of the problems but the technician also told me that for one reason or
another my throttle body was not poducing enough vacuum. So, last night I
ended up rebuilding my TBI Unit. Driving home from the shop I noticed my
Idle was way too high (about 1400rpm)come to find out I installed the TPS on
wrong which I remedied this morning. Although I still need to turn the the
idle down a little more everything seems to be working the way its supposed
to.

W.F.Wheels
91 CC V8 4x4